I grew up among the red rocks of Sedona, Arizona, and launched my writing career while living in a Baltimore graveyard.
After pounding beats as a newspaper reporter for eleven years, I started a freelance business and now produce copy for magazines, newspapers, websites, and marketing collateral. My essays have been published in various anthologies.
People think I get up way too early, but that’s when there’s enough quiet to work on a manuscript about a woman I met on the way to the Mount Kilimanjaro summit, and the mindfulness-themed alphabet book for children I hope someday will be used by both caregivers and educators.
I live in Rochester, New York, with my husband and daughter, who share my adventurous spirit for traveling to far-flung places that change the way we view the world and our place in it.
Aside from being tagged a clutterphobe and hopeless optimist, I practice yoga, swear that my search for balance comes naturally (I was born on the middle day of the week on the middle day of the year), and believe few things on this earth are better than a chewy chocolate chip cookie.
- Dean Gysel award for best newsroom writer as judged by outside editors, 2005
- New York State Associated Press Association Writing Contest Award, second place, features, 2005
- Democrat and Chronicle Quarterly Newsroom Award, feature writing, 2004
- The New York Newspaper Publishers Association Distinguished Community Service Award of Excellence, 2004
- Education Writers Association award in national contest: special citation, issue package, 1999
- EdPress Distinguished Achievement Awards in national contest: news story, honorable mention, 1999
- The ARC of Durham County Community Media Excellence Award For Significant Contributions to Community Awareness, 1999
- National Association of Secondary School Principals Benjamin Fine Award For Outstanding Education Reporting, honorable mention, 1998
- Education Writers Association award in national contest: second place, breaking news, 1996
- Maryland-Delaware-D.C. Press Association Editorial Awards: second place, spot news; second place, series; second place, feature, 1995
- Eastern Sunbathing Association award for Best Article In A Non-Nudist Publication By A Non-Nudist Reporter, 1995