I grew up among the red rocks of Sedona, Arizona, and launched my writing career while living in a Baltimore graveyard.
After pounding beats as a newspaper reporter for eleven years, I started a freelance business and now produce copy for magazines, newspapers, websites, and marketing collateral. My essays have been published in various literary magazines and anthologies.
People think I get up way too early, but that’s when there’s
enough quiet to work on my manuscripts and try to keep up
a meditation practice.
I live in Rochester, New York, with my husband and daughter, who share my adventurous spirit for traveling to far-flung places that change the way we view the world and our place in it.
Aside from being tagged a clutterphobe and hopeless optimist, I hike in any weather, swear that my search for balance comes naturally (I was born on the middle day of the week on the middle day of the year), and believe few things on this earth are better than a chewy chocolate chip cookie.
Need a Twitter tutor?
When I'm not working on my longer pieces, I'm active in the Twittersphere and enjoy capturing my thoughts and sharing interesting nuggets 140 characters at a time. I offer tutorials to help you learn everything from setting up your account, to tips and tricks that will help you build your brand, broaden professional opportunities, and make meaningful connections. Sessions are one hour and cost $50; group discounts are also available. Contact me for more information or to sign up. And be sure to follow me @thekineticpen!
Here’s my turn as part of the 2016 cast of “Listen to Your Mother,” a curated series of live readings nationwide that honor the universal pleasures and pains that come with motherhood:
- Dean Gysel award for best newsroom writer as judged by outside editors, 2005
- New York State Associated Press Association Writing Contest Award, second place, features, 2005
- Democrat and Chronicle Quarterly Newsroom Award, feature writing, 2004
- The New York Newspaper Publishers Association Distinguished Community Service Award of Excellence, 2004
- Education Writers Association award in national contest: special citation, issue package, 1999
- EdPress Distinguished Achievement Awards in national contest: news story, honorable mention, 1999
- The ARC of Durham County Community Media Excellence Award For Significant Contributions to Community Awareness, 1999
- National Association of Secondary School Principals Benjamin Fine Award For Outstanding Education Reporting, honorable mention, 1998
- Education Writers Association award in national contest: second place, breaking news, 1996
- Maryland-Delaware-D.C. Press Association Editorial Awards: second place, spot news; second place, series; second place, feature, 1995
- Eastern Sunbathing Association award for Best Article In A Non-Nudist Publication By A Non-Nudist Reporter, 1995